Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Traveling on The King’s Roads

Johnathan Strange had used the King’s Roads to locate Drawlight and popped out of the mirror that hung above the very two-seater that Drawlight and Mrs. Bullworth had been conversing. Having concluded his interview with Drawlight, Strange walked the five miles from Hampstead to Soho-square. It was quite late when Strange arrived home. He found that he had company at the house. Along with his wife Arabella, there was Sir Walter and Colonel Grant. The later two had been contacted by Strange’s wife after Strange had been away for some time.

Strange was asked if he had indeed found the Kings Roads and he explained what he add had found:

“I do not have the words to describe it. All that Norrell and I have done is as nothing in comparison! I wish I could give you an idea of its grandeur! Or its size and complexity! Of the great stone halls that lead off in every direction! I tried at first to judge their length and number, but soon gave up. There seemed no end of them. There were canals of still water on stone embarkments. The water appeared black in the gloomy light. I saw staircases that rose up so high I could not see the top of them, and others that descended into utter darkness. Then suddenly I passed under a bridge that crossed a dark empty landscape. The bridge was so vast that I could not see the end of it. And everywhere in the halls and on the bridge, I saw his likeness.”

Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Susanna Clarke

Post #51


Revised on: 9.18.21

No comments:

Post a Comment