Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Miscellaneous Materials for Scale Modeling

The Spruce Crafts site has a page that describes different materials that can be used for modeling scales models. I have either heard or used most of the materials described on the page, however there is one product I have never heard of and another, although I have heard of it I never really gave it too much thought.

After reading the article two types of materials stuck out to me: Taskboard and Creative Paperclay, both sound like they might be fun to experiment with. I could use either for fashioning structures or terrain.

  1. Taskboard:taskboardis a lightweight board made from non-aligned wood fibers that can be fashioned into 3d shapes just by adding water. The only draw back to taskboard is its cost. It will cost me $20 for 2- 1/32 x 10 x 20" sheets.
  2. Creative Paperclay: a 8oz brick will cost me around $10. Paperclay has the conistancy of fine clay. The benefits of using Paperclay is that it can re-wetted faster than clay and there is less cracking or warping with Paperclay.
    1. I don't know about its yield so I cannot do a proper cost analysis between the two products, however I am guessing I might get better yield from taskboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment