Wednesday, October 13, 2021

The Malcolm L. McKenzie & Son Goods Sheds

I had a good time building this HO gauge structure. Although there are one or two details I would like to add to the structure I have completed enough of the structure to make a post. I have reported much about the structure during its construction, at least on its start and the construction of the right-hand side. However, there are few details I have left out.

Structure Stone Work Colors

As I have mentioned previously, I used embossed stone paper for the front and back of the structure. I used the following colors for the stone work:

  • Model Master, Light gray basecoat
  • American, Raw Sienna
  • Folk Art #462 Burnt Umber
  • Folk Art #917 Yellow Ochre

After allowing the base coat to dry I dry-brushed Raw Sienna and Burnt Umber on to the embossed stone. Dry-brushing is one of those skills, that once mastered is not easy forgotten. The trick is to scrape most of the paint off the brush before taking it to your surface. I will make post of the process in my next post. Once this was totally dry I very sparingly dry-brushed the yellow ochre on selected areas of the surface.

Construction of the Left Side

The shed on the left was constructed from what was sold as Balsa wood. It is light weight like balsa, but it wasn’t as light as other balsa I have dealt with. It also had a different grain pattern than other balsa wood. No matter, I have a stack of it now I will use the material again.

Although I had taped the side off before cutting the openings for the windows I accidently snapped the side piece in two, but since the tape held the pieces together I was able to glue a patch of cardstock on the back of break to make the side piece even stronger than it was before the break.

There a few other flaws that I didn't mention that will need to be hidden behind a bush, tree, or other details.

I haven't decided on the type of foundation I would like to add to this structure. Will it be a concrete slab,block, stone, or brick?


Satisfaction Scale: 3 out 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment