Saturday, April 18, 2020

What Is So Hard About Creating a Panel Door?

Nothing, really. I have used this technique using thin polystyrene and card stock. I suppose you could use the same technique using wood as long as you have the correct scale lumber on hand. Assembly is quite simple. For my shack door I measured the inside dimensions and added six scale feet to the left, right and top so that I had a surface to place glue and a surface to adhere to the inner side of the door way.

I then used the same measurements minus the six scale inches for my panel insert. I then measured three inches, but you could have gone up to six. I did this for all four sides. For the middle I measured down three and half feet (my door stands seven scale feet tall). From this mark I measured up three inches on the top and the same on the bottom.

Having created an upper and lower rectangles I used a sharp #10 X-acto blade and a small metal rule to carefully cut these away. I then used the knife here, is that magic word again, to carefully cleaned-up my cuts. I followed this with a small square file. Once I was satisfied I carefully glued the “panels” to the front of my door, making sure that it was plumb and square with inside of the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment