Thursday, May 14, 2020

More of Yagharek’s Musings

...I was once a creature of the air, and it remembers me. When I climb to the city heights and lean out into the wind, it tickles me with currents and vectors from the past. I can smell and see the passage of predators and prey in the eddying wash of this atmosphere.

I am like a diver who has lost his suit, who can still gaze through the glass bottom of a boat and watch the creatures of the upper and deeper darkness, can trace their passage and feel the tug of the tides, even though distorted and distinct, veiled and half hidden….

The air, stills with summer, is heavy with heat and now with these newcomers, these intruders, I cannot see. The air is laden with menace. My curiosity rises. My hunting instincts stir.

But I am earthbound.

Yagharek

Perdido Street Station, China Mieville

1 comment: