Friday, November 10, 2023

My Second Attempt at Creating a Multi-paned Window

My first attempt went down in flames. With only about 1mm tolarence my window fell apart once I started to cut the interior portion of the window from the cardstock.

This is my second attempt at a multi-pane window and I am not all that satisfied with the results. Creating windows in HO scale is a tedious process.

Most of the card will be used to adhere the window to the structure and only 1 - 1.5 mm of the remaining window casing will be viewable from the outside. Due to their quality I will pass them on as windows in disrepair and try again.

6 comments:

  1. Try again, but instead of cutting, stab . . . Eight times for each window, get a sharp knife, put the work on a cutting mat and then stab every corner, straight on the line at a shallow angle, until the blade is down in the cutting-mat, after you've done all eight, you just need to lightly 'close' any uncut 'gaps' down the four sides . . . worth a try! So for that window, you'd do 32 stabs and 16 little joining cuts?

    h

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was me, I have trouble commenting on you Blog as me? H

    ReplyDelete
  3. For small buildings one old school technique is to use a pen to rule the horizontal and vertical bars onto a clear piece of plastic. A Sharpie pen would be suitable, or a ruling pen filled with the paint the color of the bars are two possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I think some more about this - it's early and the wheels in my mind are grinding slowly :-) - another old school alternative is to make the bars from thin strips of pre-painted masking tape or paper.

      Delete
    2. That's a really good idea, and for larger scales you could use precut 'pin striping' from the automotive trade, comes on little rolls!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your comments. I will give those suggestions a try.

    ReplyDelete