Thursday, September 23, 2021

A Pyramid Style Roof

When I tired of using the traditional gabled and slanted shed roofs on my structures I did some research of other roof types. I didn’t realize just how many different types of roofs there were. Although I have come to the point where I am willing to try other types of roofs, at the time when I saw the pyramid roof, I told myself that I would have to try this roof out on my next structure. The pyramid roof is a type of hip roof and can be built either on a square or rectangular frame.

I have experimented with different methods of fabricating this roof type and the best method that I came up with was to lay out the four triangles side by side on a piece of cardstock. I layout the first triangles width out. The width is equal to the width of the structure plus a scale foot or two. This depends on how much over-hang you want. Once you ascertain the width, divide the width by two and at this point measure up to how high you want your roof.

Score each quarter and cut out the four triangles. By the way there shouldn’t be a gap between the second and third triangle. That is a “my bad”. I used masking tape to join the four triangles from the inside. I cut the tape in half widths and used a tweezer to help position the tape to the correct position.

I have experimented with different roofing methods. One method I tried was to use corrugated panels, paper corrugated panels would be perfect, however the metal Campbell roofing look great, however will will need rubber cement to attach them. I have also used industrial paper towels, those with the right pattern embossed on them. This is what I used on the structure above and is my preferred method.

No comments:

Post a Comment