Thursday, October 27, 2016

Who is Nan-yang Maru-AKA (Tressa Norne); A Host of Characters?

"My father was in the spice trade in Yian. The Yezidees took Yian in 1910, threw him into a well in his own compound and filled it up with dead imperial troops. I was thirteen years old.... The Hassani did that. They held Yian nearly eight years, and I lived with my mother, in a garden pagoda, until 1914. In January of that year Germans got through from Kiaou-Chou. They had been six months on the way. I think they were Hassanis. Anyway, they persuaded the Hassanis to massacre every English-speaking prisoner."

"I was seventeen. A certain person had placed me among the temple girls in the temple of Erlik. It pleased this person to make of me a Mongol temple girl as a mockery at Christ. They gave me the name Keuke Mongol. I asked to serve the shrine of Kwann-an—she being like to our Madonna. But this person gave me the choice between the halberds of the Tchortchas and the sorcery of Erlik."

Nan-yang Maru learned her trade well and seems to be predisposed to these dark arts, even so that she is able to defy and hold sway over all others sent her way to depose her.

Chapter I The Yezidee, The Slayer of Souls, Robert W. Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment