Thursday, May 6, 2021

The Pump House

I used 1mm thick card stock for the sub-walls and embossed brick paper for the outer walls. The pump house is braced from within with box-wood strips and includes a diamond plate floor, also embossed paper. The roof is a piece of card stock with a square of industrial paper towel affixed with some black paint. While the paint was still wet I sprinkled a table spoon of baking soda on the surface. Once the paint had dried I knocked off the excess baking soda that had not been absorbed by the paint and touched up the areas that had not absorbed any paint. The two windows and door were scratch built. I tried my hand at representing a double-hung window.

The painting of the structure is where everything fell apart. I should have left well enough alone, but I went back with a brush too laden with paint. I see there isn’t too much you can do when too much paint has been applied to embossed paper. So, I switch to plan B and tried to rescue the structure by adding more paint and weathering to depict a building in the early stages of neglect.

Satisfaction Scale: 1 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment