Saturday, May 22, 2021

Two Structures from the Scrap Bin

I have just completed two small structures from scraps from one of my wood resource boxes. This particular box contains odds, ends, bits and pieces from other wood projects.

Project 1:Tool Shed

The shed was created using a piece of left-over board and batten, a small slab of scribed sheet, embossed stone sheet, and some strip wood. The structure measures five by seven feet in HO scale.

Satisfaction Scale: 3 out 5.


Project 2: Privy

This privy was created from a few small left-over slabs of balsa wood. I had forgotten how nice balsa takes to distressing and weathering.This structure measures four by four foot in HO scale.

Satisfaction Scale: 4 out 5.

In completing a scene there always seems to be room from another small structure. Now that I have several small structures under my belt I am ready for a larger project. Keeping with the last two structures I will use materials from my collection of resource (scrap boxes).

I am considering a false front structure to house a clock works business. Although I have enough wood for the front and back in my bits box I don’t have enough for the sides, however I do have a left-over sheets of stone material and form-core board. It looks like this structure will be built using a mix of materials. It ought to be an interesting and satisfactory build.

5 comments:

  1. I like the stone base (plinth?) on the tool shed, just the sort of thing you see, to keep them above the weather!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugh

      Thank you for your comment!

      JF

      Delete
    2. When I was a kid there was tons of this stuff down the lines, every few hundred yards there would be some wooden, brick or tin shack of some kind, they slowly got replaced by 'identikit' concrete prefabs which seemed to age badly and now they are mostly gone, so too are all the transformers and things, these days you tend to get one big sealed steel box every few miles doing everything, signals, phones, transforming, boosting, cooling, recording, . . . no little sheds with a kettle!

      H

      Delete