Monday, August 19, 2013

Building a Woodland Scenics Outhouse or Two

I enjoy building metal kits. Metal kits have a certain heft and they are constructed ruggedly. Woodland Scenic’s Outhouses kit comes with three individual outhouses. I built the two identical outhouses. The third is more detailed, and I thought I would save this structure for another time.

There were three castings for each of these structures, front, back sides and the roof. I used a file to true-up the edges and to remove casting residue I soaked the parts in denatured alcohol and let dry. Using the cheapest brand I can find I primed the castings (front, back, and roofs) with flat white spray paint.

I let the primer dry thoroughly and then dry fitted the pieces together. After I was satisfied with the placement of these parts t I used a Cyanoacrylate to glue the front and back sections together. I then gave one outhouse and roof edges and front and back a basecoat of Americana Barn Wood, and the other rebasecoat of Folk Art tan. I have been using these very economical water based acrylics for just all my painting needs. Just make sure that you apply these paints over a good base coat.

I was trying for a weathered old paint look on the one structure, so the Barn wood colored outhouse got a dry brushing of light grey. I used two separate applications of the grey paint. After this had dried I painted the door hinges a dark grey and gave the structure a couple washes of a black wash (alcohol and India ink-Two tablespoons of ink to a quart of alcohol).

The roof tops for both models were painted back. To give the tar paper some texture and while the paint was still wet I sprinkled black and dark gray chalk. I was trying to create a perceived randomness so I varied the placement of the black and grey chalk over the area of the roof.

The other outhouse, the one I painted tan received a couple washes of Folk Art oak stain. The wash consistencies were varied. I used one stronger wash and diluted this wash down with some more water and gave the structure another wash of oak. After this had dried I painted the hinges a rust color and gave the structure a couple good black washes. Not really being satisfied with the outcome I dry-brushed this structure with some barnwood.

I added foundations to both of the outhouses. I like the texture of wooden match sticks, which when painted and dry brushed can be perceived as a concrete foundation. I started by cutting the front and back pieces and then fitting the side pieces in. I painted the foundation a dark grey and after this was dry I dried brushed the foundation with a medium gray followed by a dry brushing of light gray.

I added a field stone foundation to other outhouse. I created this from piece of field stone sheet cut to height of a styrene strip. I gave this a grey base coat and dried brushed it with burnt sienna.



Another sample outhouse can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment