Thursday, September 12, 2013

It is Getting Close to the Season for Model Railroading

This is the time of year when I usually start to devote more time to model railroading. I model in HO scale and run HO narrow gauge trains. HOn30 gauge runs on N-gauge track.

I don’t have a permanent layout, one in which I keep up all the time, I have what might be considered a mobile layout, one in which can be easily transported and assembled at train shows and other events.

The layout measures six by eight feet and consists of four three by four sections. The sub-assemblies are stored just with their scenery shell and track. All the structures are labeled on the layout and on an accompanied diagram. Everything is removed, wrapped to protect and keep dust from accumulating and packed away. The trees, all one hundred of them are pinned to the layout and must be removed one by one. These usually need to be spruced up before they are painstakingly replanted on the layout.

I have had the layout for five years and it has been assembled seven times, either at home or at some event. Usually when the layout is taken to an event I usually take two sections and assembly a three by eight layout. The layout is pretty versatile and can be assembled in a few different configurations (with a few minor modifications to the layout). I will be setting the whole layout very soon and plan on keeping it up over the holidays.

A model train layout is never really ever finished and I am always thinking about ways to improve the scenery, adding detail parts, or about adding new structures to fill in some of the gaps. I will be digging through my un-or-partially-built kits, picking a few of these out, and assembling them. I will be posting several articles on different aspects of this endeavor over the next couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment